My kids love crackers, they can go eat their own weight in crackers. And their favourite ones are sweet chilli. But, because they’re ‘Asian”-flavoured and everything even remotely Asian-inspired is cool and expensive, those sweet chilli crackers can add up!
For the same price of one little on-the-go packet of crackers you can whip up a whole pound of them. And if you can’t have gluten, just replace the flour with a gluten-free mix, the recipe will work a treat.
4-ingredient sweet chilli crackers
Quick, easy and delicious crackers, perfect for when you want a quick snack.
- 2.5 cups of plain flour (all-purpose)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt (depends on the salt content of the sweet chilli sauce you are using)
- 1/3 cups of vegan butter or margarine (if you can’t find, use hard coconut oil).
- 2/3 cup of sweet chilli sauce
- Pre-heat the oven at 200C/400F (that is hotter than usual for baking, so make sure your oven is very clean or you might set off your fire alarm).
- Mix the flour and the salt.
- Add in the vegan butter until the mix looks like wet sand.
- Add the sweet child sauce.
- On a floured surface knead three or four times and roll to a thickness of 1 to 2 millimetres. It’s important that the thickness is the same, or some crackers will burn while others are still unbaked.
- Cut to preferred shape and size. The recipe will make approximately 450 grams of crackers.
- Place on a baking tray and bake between 8 and 12 minutes, how long will depend on the thickness. Keep an eye on them while they bake as the thinness and sugar can make them burn quite quickly.
- As soon as you take them out of the oven, spread them out on a flat surface so that the crackers dry out. When they are completely cooled you can keep in an airtight container.